I am using Apple products for more than a decade and Apple products were mostly a better choice for me. But as a software engineer, it wasn’t that easy to get over other portable touch-enabled, light-weight computers such as Microsoft Surface Go (which it’s new version just announced).
I was looking for a light portable device to replace my MacBook Pro when travelling. Here are the main features I was looking for:
- I need to be able to connect to my servers using SSH anytime from anywhere. (to maintain our running websites or make some changes)
- It’s good to be able to replace my notebook at meetings completely with a touch screen and stylus enabled device.
- I need a simple code editor with access to my git repositories and the ability to commit and push.
- Supporting keyboard and preferably mouse and trackpad is a must.
- I’m not primarily looking for the fastest device with highest performance. It is not going to be my main computer.
- And the last but not least, I need a device lighter than a 15-inch MacBook Pro to be easier to carry!
The last iPad I had was the legendary iPad 2 from almost a decade ago. Although it’s huge screen was fantastic those days, but to me it was only, well;
A GIANT iPhone.
That was the main reason that I never convinced to buy any of the new models.
After introducing iPadOS, it started to diverge from being a giant iPhone to a completely new device class between mac and iPhone; which is definitely more interesting. There were some flaws in it such as not natively supporting mouse and trackpad, although you could use a mouse and trackpad by using the touch assistant settings in Accessibility settings on iPad, it wasn’t that user-friendly to be counted.
This all was before the new iPadOS 13.4 update and the new iPad Pro 2020
Surface on the other hand, it’s a nice looking touchscreen device which runs Windows by default, but it supports linux too (which is a very interesting feature). I never own a Microsoft device before and it could be the first one to try. I read a lot about it’s features, benchmarks and reviews to…